Year 6 Home Learning Page - This will be updated on a daily basis through term time, during periods of school closure.
Background Information for Parents
This term in literacy the children have been working on a biography of Anne Frank and have started to read Friend or Foe by Michael Morpurgo. Within their learning they have been deepening their understanding of these skills:
- Adding fronted adverbials to their sentences using ISPACEd (https://www.mrmichaelmccloskey.com/ispace.html - this website will support your child with examples.)
- Extending sentences using: relative clauses which need a relative pronoun (who, which, whose, where), an embedded clause (which is in the middle of a sentence) or parenthesis (using brackets, dashes or commas.)
- Adding dialogue to text, using the correct punctuation.
- Using modal verbs to identify possibility.
- Learning all the verb tenses: simple past and present (I had , I have), past and present progressive ( I was running I am running ) past and present perfect ( I have listened I had listened ) subjunctive ( if this were to happen...).
- Using the whole range of punctuation for Yr 6 inverted commas, colon , semi -colon , dashes , brackets, hyphen
- Using the passive voice (Games were enjoyed by the children is passive whereas The children enjoyed games is active )
- Using evidence of spelling the Yr6 words ( lists inside the children's spelling logbook )
Through the tasks that we set, we will expect the children to try and use the above skills in their writing. We will include tasks through the home learning, to support them in consolidating using these literacy skills.
This term in mathematics the children have been revising key skills :
- Addition and subtraction - using column addition as well as as number lines and place-value.
- Multiplying - up to a 4-digit number by a 2-digit number using the column method.
- Division – up to a 4-digit number by a 1–digit number, including division with remainders. The calculation policy on this website (https://www.glenpark.plymouth.sch.uk/curriculum/maths-provision) will support you with this.
- Fractions – equivalent, converting improper and mixed number fractions, adding and subtracting fractions, multiplying and dividing.
- Decimals – understanding decimals up to thousandths, decimals as fractions.
- Measures - angles, area and perimeter , units of measure ( g to Kg ,ml to L , miles to Km etc)
Through the tasks that we set, we will be revising the skills above.
Also this term we have been working on : Plymouth in the Blitz (history), The circulatory system and keeping healthy ( science and Jigsaw). Using a variety of techniques and media to create pages in our sketchbooks based on iconic WW2 images and developing figures in action using ovals (ART).
Continue to encourage your child to access Spelling Shed, Times Table Rock Stars and Numbots daily. They should read for 30 minutes every day and remember they can now take an AR Quiz at home ( between 8:30 and 3:00 pm).
If you need to contact your child's teacher or would like to share home learning please email using the address below: