Read, Write Inc
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 3 to 7 year olds learning to read and write. At Glen Park Primary we begin teaching the initial sounds start of the Foundation Stage and then teach Read Write Inc.daily through KS1 until the children are secure with all their sounds.
Understanding how Read Write Inc. works.
Read Write Inc is a synthetic phonics programme. There are about 44 sounds in the English language. Each word is made up of sounds. When children are learning to read and write it is much easier to say the sounds in a very pure way. It is easier for a child to put the sounds together if they are pure sounds. This video helps you to understand how Read Write Inc. works.
This is why it is so important to pronounce and model the sounds correctly when you are reading with your child. In this video a child models the sounds.
This video shows how you can help your child with their sounds, modelling the correct pronunciation and using ‘fred’ sounds.
In the Foundation Stage all children:
- Learn to say, read and write Set 1 sounds
- Write sounds using correct letter formation
- Begin to read and write simple, decodable words
- Begin to read and write ‘red’ words
- Begin to read and write simple sentences
Reading and sharing stories to the children is a key part in developing a love of books and doing this at home also will help.
In Year 1 all children:
- Listen to and talk about a range of quality texts read by the teacher.
- Begin to read with fluency and expression.
- Read books which are closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge.
- Begin to spell using known sounds.
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first.
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 2 we aim for all children to become accurate and fluent readers, ready to move on to the Spelling and Comprehension programme.
The Read Write Inc. Manager ensures a clearly structured teaching programme is delivered by teachers and teaching assistants who are all trained to teach the programme with enthusiasm, skill and confidence. Rigorous assessment every 6 weeks, tracking each child’s progress, ensures that all the children develop at their own rate. One-to-one tutoring ensures that no children are left behind. Therefore children have positive early experiences of learning to read - they are successful and progress quickly.
At Glen Park Primary we aim for all children to develop a love for reading.